Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Rather "Difficult Run"

It was a hot day in August and the Potomac had just been hit with substantial rain, so Jason  Beakes and I decided to hit up Center Chute.  The gauge read 4.2 and rising, so we packed up our gear and headed to Angler's.  Paddling up to Center Chute we noticed the run out from Difficult Run was really pumping.  At over 10,000 cfs, Difficult Run was backing up the Potomac making Center Chute, which should have been a beautiful wave-hole completely flat.  The options were limited so we took the opportunity to explore Difficult Run.  Hiking up the path that runs alongside Difficult Run, I could hear the riverbed rumbling as huge boulders were rearranged by the powerful water. It was an awesome phenomenon to behold.  We ran into fellow team member Scott Anderson as well as a few other expert Potomac boaters who were contemplating lighting it up.  I on the other hand had no intention of making this my virgin run.  The entire gorge had become one big slide with entire trees floating right down the middle of the run.  After some aerial reconnoissance by Pete Morey the group decided that the hazards were too great and called it a day.

Jason and I returned the following day to more inviting levels for a first time run.  Difficult Run is short and sweet with the most challenging rapids coming at the end of the run in the gorge right before its confluence with the Potomac.  We scouted the gorge and I watched Jason and Greg (another first timer we met at the put-in) run the final three drops before deciding to attempt it myself.   I was nervous but confident I could make the necessary moves and have a successful run.  The first two drops were smooth sailing but I knew the third drop would be the most challenging.  As I approached the third drop I could see Jason setting safety and a crowd of onlookers cheering me on and then everything went black as I messed up the entrance to the drop, flipping above Difficult Run Falls. I don't recommend running drops upside down. The force of the water pounded me into the rocks but luckily I stayed on the right line.  I walked away unscathed and as they say all is well that ends well....ENJOY THE SHOW!





No comments: