Saturday, February 14, 2009

First Time Fun at the Fish Ladder

I can still remember when I first started paddling and was doing Cheat Training with Tom McEwan; for those of you who are not familiar with Cheat Training it involves weekly attains and down river workouts. I had only been paddling for a few months and was having trouble making the elevator move at the top hole of center chute.  In addition to the other attainers there were also quite a few people play boating as well. After a few missed attempts my frustration and embarrassment were building when a young C-1er gave me some pointers and encouragement.  On my next attempt I messed up my entrance and completely missed the spot I was aiming for in order to the make the required move.  The young man and his father, also in a C-1, encouraged me to go right back at it and finally I made the attain.  Almost a year later I now have the privilege of paddling with Jordan as a member of Team PPS and this past weekend Jordan showed me down the fish ladder for the first time.  I guess the point of this story is that I can still remember what it felt like to be a beginner paddler on the Potomac River.  I was so grateful for the advice and support I received from time-to-time even if it was from a complete stranger.  I am a better paddler because of it.  So if you are a more advanced paddler and you see someone struggling don't be afraid to speak-up.  If the person prefers not to listen that is up to them!  Bottom line...beginner, advanced, or expert- we can all be supportive of one another.  I mean after all that is what community is all about.  Here are some pics of my fist time down the fish ladder...Enjoy! 


Jordan P and I...TEAMWORK...
              Lining Up the 2nd Slide...  Dropping In... 

   Pushing Through...

The 3rd Slide...      In the thick of it...  
          Jordan Leading the Way Down the 4th Slide...

Charging the Hole...     Punching It...

Following Jordan's Lead Down the 5th Slide.....

                  Photos by Ned Poffenberger

No comments: