Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Webster Springs Festival '09


Last weekend I went to the Webster Springs Festival, an annual event that is held in the mountains of West Virginia. It's always lots of fun. The main attractions are the "Fruitbasket" rivers: the Cranberry, the Cherry, and the Williams (nevermind that the Williams isn't a fruit). This year we got some rain and I was able to catch the Back Fork of the Elk for the first time. It starts out on Sugar Creek for a quarter mile, then joins the Back Fork and floats along lazily for a while before getting down to business. The meat of the run is the "Three Falls" section, which consists of six ledges ranging in height from 4-12 feet. I ran each of these three or four times because I didn't know when I'd get another chance!

I'm thankful to have met up with such a great group of people to boat with. I didn't know any of them before the weekend began, but spending a beautiful sunny day on a great river is a sure way to make friends. Below are some photos from the weekend for your viewing pleasure.


Scouting the biggest ledge on the Back Fork of the Elk
Craig running the ledge
John
Katy
SteveJoel

Jim

Joel bow stalling in the pool below



Group strainer, er, photo. Left to right: Joel, ???, Steve, Katy, Joel, John, Craig, Jim, ???

On the way home we caught Wills Creek outside of Cumberland, which was another first for me. I didn't take any photos because we bombed down it, but the continuous III-IV whitewater had me smiling from ear to ear. All in all it was a great weekend!

1 comment:

Monica G. said...

how many burning mans does washington dc harbor?