Thursday, March 26, 2009

NAWFest/Occoe/Duke's creek/Chattooga section 4

NAWFest
Thursday 19- Saturday 21

(Photo- Rob Beckman)

To start the boating season with a bang, my dad and I decided to go down to the North Alabama Whitewater fest down in, well, Northern Alabama. The festival started off with a little freestyle competition over a 15-20 foot waterfall on short creek. After 20 runs (at least 14 of them landing flat, and 4 of them flat on my head) I had a very sore back, though still very satisfied. Then there was supposed to be a boater cross, though due to some land owner issues and some people parking where they weren't supposed to, we were made to walk out prematurely.
--------
Saturday was the Freestyle competitions at king's bend on the Locust fork of the Warrior river. The c-1 class was made up of 3 people, me, dane jackson, and this sick open boater named dooley ( I think). Dane coming in first, second went to myself, and third going to dooley.
--------
Here's a bunch of pictures, all taken by Ned P, enjoy!
















Ocoee
Sunday 22




After driving all night from NAWfest to Greg Garrard's sweet cabin in the northern Georgia mountains we slept in still about 11 and then headed out to the Ocoee. I managed to convince Greg to take my dads c-1 fluid flirt down the Ocoee ( my dad had a bit of a stomach ache so he didn't feel like paddling). Greg makes it all the way down the river with only one swim ( which is pretty amazing). He even managed to get a nice surf on hell hole! Give it up for this guy! This is his 5th time in a c-1!






Duke's Creek
Monday 23

After a long weekend and a super fun day on the Ocoee Greg, my dad, and myself decided to take a rest day and go check out this sick creek. Duke's creek is this beautiful little gem in the Georgia Appalachian mountains. The run is only about half a mile long though drops nearly as much as it runs. The crux section is probably about a 45 degree angle. This is also one of the few creeks that is runnable with 30 cfs. Based on what I saw 100 cfs would make this creek nearly unrunable. Maybe in a few months.



Chattooga Section 4
Tuesday 24


After a nice restful day of hiking/scouting the class 5 gnar Greg Garrard and myself decided to go hit the chattooga for some sweet southern creekin'. This was an amazing run with beautiful crystal clear water and some sick little drops. Greg was an Awesoume guide and kept me from doing anything stupid. Though probably the major adrenaline boost of the day is when a goose decided to dive bomb us and continue to either attack us or dive bomb us for about 500 yards. We also got to see some very large trout at the bottom of the run, so I guess we're bringin our fishing rods next time. After a long day of paddle who would not want a bacon cheeseburger pizza at a sweet Italian place about 15 minutes away from the river.









No comments: